So how are you doing with all those good intentions for 2014? Are you still on track for achieving the things you set yourself back on new years eve or new years day? Even if you don’t set new years resolutions, how is your motivation and focus?
It is often a couple of months into any change when our motivation is beginning to dip for those big promises we made ourselves. We tend to start with a big spurt of energy and enthusiasm but struggle to keep it going, especially if we face any tricky moments along the way.
So let’s take stock of how things have been.
- Remind yourself of the ‘vision’ you made for yourself, of how life would be once you have achieved your goal. Did you do a vision board? If so, get it out, go look at it and remind yourself what it is all about.
- What things have you done to stay on target? Think back over the last 2 months and all the little steps you have taken that are getting you one step nearer to your target (even if you think they might be insignificant write them all down!)
- What mini-milstones have you reached? Again, even if they are not as big as you might be hoping for, give yourself recognition for them.
If you are having a wobble that is OK, we all have them. The important thing is that you pick yourself up and get yourself back on track. Now!
- If you change nothing for the next 6 months, what will life be like? Will you be within reach of those intentions for 2014 or miles away?
- If you start taking steps in the right direction again today, what will life be like in 6 months? How much better will it be?
- What are the things that are getting in your way at the moment? And be honest with yourself, because it is the only way to deal with them.
- Take each obstacle and give yourself time to think outside the box and find your solutions. What have you done in the past that has helped? Those first few weeks when you were doing really well, motivated and focussed, how did you overcome these things? Ask yourself, if you knew that you could achieve this goal and nothing was going to derail you, what would you do when faced with the obstacle?
Some of the common obstacles that I often hear people say are a lack of time, the conversations we have with ourselves in our head, saboteurs (often unknowingly) or focussing on the wrong things. I will write some blogs with some tips and suggestions to tackle these common issues, over the coming weeks so keep an eye open!
I just thought I would end with this quote
‘People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing – that’s why we recommend it daily.’ (Zig Ziglar)
Give yourself time on a regular basis to focus on your end goal and your plan, otherwise it will slip away from you.