Well it is that time of year again.  With Christmas celebrations coming to an end, and we start to think about plans for the new year.  Whether you think about it as New Years resolutions, plans for the next year, dreams, goals or promises to yourself for the coming year, it is all about setting ourselves some form of target to aim for and work towards.

What did you promise yourself last year, as the new years resolutions for 2013? How did you do?

Did you know that 88% of new years resolutions fail? So, what is the key for the 12% that succeed? Some of the key steps that people do that help them achieve their goals are:

  1. having a clear, defined vision of what they want to achieve
  2. a plan broken down into manageable steps towards the goals
  3. writing it down or telling people about it

A study of Harvard students in 1979, asked them if they had clear, written goals for the future. 3% reported having written down goals, 13% had goals but not in writing, and 84% had no goals at all.  10 years later when incomes were compared, what do you think the results were? The 13% with goals were earning on average 2 times as much as the 84% with no goals. But the 3% with clearly written goals for the future were earning on average 10 times as much as the other 97% combined. Now isn’t that as good a reason as any to have clearly written plans for 2014 to make your resolutions work?

Here are my top tips for writing New Years Resolutions:

  1. Think about everything you have achieved over the past year
  2. Write your resolution in a positive way e.g. ‘I will do…’ rather than ‘I won’t…’
  3. Keep your resolution realistic
  4. Keep your resolution specific with each step needed
  5. Think about the help or support you need along the way
  6. Be accountable for your resolution
  7. Ask someone to support you if you go off track
  8. Celebrate your achievements along the way
  9. Write down your plan!

I can offer help in making your plans for the new year a success, just give me a call!

I hope you all have a happy, healthy and productive 2014.

 

Pin It on Pinterest